Sunday, November 20, 2011

Citibank has a customer arrested for trying to close her account

Somehow this outrage escaped us while we were watching (some) rogue cops manhandle protesters on the street.



This video was posted on Dangerous Minds. Bank of America appears to have a more cunning strategy, according to one poster who commented on the above video:

Oct 15, 2011

Matt says:

My BofA Story.

In 2006, I went to a local branch of BofA to close my account. I had no direct deposits or auto debits. (I still pay my bills via USPS.)

I told the teller I wanted to close my account. He sent me to an account manager. I told the account manager I wanted to close my account. He sent me to the branch manager. I told the branch manager I wanted to close my account.

She said I couldn’t.

The branch manager told me that since I opened my original account in San Diego, CA, and I was now living in Portland, OR, she could not close my account. I had to travel back to San Diego. No options. No shit.

Inside, I’m livid. But I keep my cool.

So I go back to the original teller, annoyed but not making a scene. I figure I’ll take out all my dough. (not realizing that’s exactly what they want as they could then start charging me for not having a certain balance or the $5 for debit cards or whatever would get me to put cash back in the account…)

The teller looks over towards the manager, sees she’s walking back to her office since I didn’t flip, and *whispers* to me, “See that red phone in the corner? Pick it up and talk to the BofA customer service rep. They’ll take care of you.”

I get on the red phone, a nice chap closes my account, and I head back to the teller to grab the balance of my account. Clean. Closed. Done.

But had that teller not told me straight, I might still have a BofA account no thanks to their duplicitous branch manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis