Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Are straight men kissing each other more?

More men are openly kissing in public
Eric Anderson, a sociology lecturer at Bath University's department of education, notes in a Guardian piece by Lucy Tobin that the game "gay chicken" (when two male students go in for a kiss and the first to pull out loses) had almost died out in the UK in the last few years "because nobody ever loses."
     A survey of his showed 89% of the polled men saying they were happy to kiss another man on the lips through friendship. And almost 40% added that they had engaged in "sustained kissing, initially for shock value, but now just for 'a laugh'."
     ...Anderson, 43, now believes homophobia is dying out on university campuses... these kissing behaviours are happening all over the country. I have also found it occurring in a fifth of the 60 university soccer players I interviewed in the US, and have a friend who is beginning formal research into male kissing in Australia after recording it there."
     ..."When I say that homophobia is in retreat, people often point to one case and think every gay person is oppressed," he says. "One academic said to me last year, 'what about Matthew Sheppard?' I replied, that was 6,000 miles away, and 11 years ago...
     "Last week, I was talking to my second-year students about two straight men cuddling; they laughed, 'what's the big deal about that'," he says. "I polled them, and found that 14/15 said they had spooned another man, in bed, sleeping all night long. Gone are the days in which men would rather sleep on the floor or head to toe; not only do they share beds and cuddle, but they are not homosexualised for this."

1 comment:

  1. I regularly kiss my brother in law on the lips. We are both heterosexual married men. The least affection we show for each other are full body hugs. We are not ashamed to show each other affection because, in a non sexual way, we are in love.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis