Monday, November 22, 2010

You Know You're Getting Old When You Discover Hamburger Mary's Has Been Franchised

...and the words "Eat, drink, and be... Mary" are trademarked.

But Cedar Rapids? Really?

I remember an early morning at Hamburger Mary's in San Francisco in which, for the first and last time of my life, I was able to use the seven years of French I took, when a Swedish guy (who, by the looks of things, had really been through the wringer, if you catch my drift, at one or more of the wilder establishments south of Market) and who didn't speak English, figured he'd have more luck finding a French speaker than a Swedish one, and asked me to order "des frites" for him. Which I was more than happy to do, not wishing to standing between a Scandinavian boy and his fries.

P.S. The rumor is that St. Louis will be the latest recipient of a Hamburger Mary's franchise...

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis